Friday, August 8, 2008

Reunited, and it felt so good!

About ten years ago, I saw this recipe in a magazine at my aunt's house. My grandmother saw the luscious picture of this layer cake and requested it for her birthday. I made it for her, but never remembered which magazine it was in. Fast forward to a couple months ago when I was browsing around the bookstore and came across a discounted cookbook featuring recipes using cake mixes. I flipped through it looking for anything that caught my eye, then I saw a pic of this cake. I excitedly pulled out a billing statement envelope and jotted down the recipe (a Target envelope, if you must know). Well, I made it last week and it was as good as I remembered. We were reunited...at last. I don't remember which cookbook I saw it in, but it doesn't matter, because I got the recipe and I'm not forgetting about this cake. Chocolate Praline Torte
  • 1 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 c. coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • --------------------------------
  • 1-3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and cream. Stir over low heat until butter is melted. Pour into two well greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Carefully pour batter over pecans. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes (no longer or the praline will harden in the pan). Invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

For the topping, beat cream in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff. Don't over beat the cream though, or you'll make butter and have to start all over.

Place one cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving plate. Spread the first layer after it is COMPLETELY cooled with half of the whipped cream. Top with second cake layer and decorate with the remaining half of the cream.

NOTE: I used "Butter Recipe Fudge" cake mix and walnuts because it's what I had on hand. This would also be really good with a yellow or spice cake mix, or even a homemade pumpkin cake- mmm! (I'll have to try that for Thanksgiving). I do have to say that pecans are better in this recipe than the walnuts, but use what you prefer. Be sure to store this in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails